Job Title: Regional Enterprise Advisor
Organisation: Self Help Africa
Location: Nairobi, Kenya (with significant travel across Africa)
Contract Type: 2 year fixed term
Reports to: Senior Agriculture Advisor
About Self Help Africa:
Self Help Africa (SHA) is an international NGO, dedicated to the vision of an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa. Working in ten countries throughout Africa, SHA focuses on agriculture and agribusiness as the engine of growth in Africa.
We believe in market-based solutions to the alleviation of longterm poverty and our primary clients are smallholder farmers in Africa. We work with all participants in the agricultural value chain and believe that you can only achieve longterm sustainable growth by creating profitable businesses (whatever the size) and farmer organisations that can operate at scale.
We are committed to establishing social enterprises and believe in the business of doing good business throughout Africa. We have established two subsidiaries – TruTrade, which supports market access for small-holder farmers in the agricultural value-chain; and Partner Africa, an ethical auditing and consultancy firm that operates across more than 40 countries in sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East.
This role is central to the achievement of SHA’s vision of thriving rural economies and is part of the global technical advisory team. This post will explore and advise on best practice from within Self Help Africa and experiences from other market systems actors to ensure programmes across all countries of operation are providing effective enterprise development support to smallholder farmers moving them beyond subsistence farming to developing commercial, market-based enterprises, promoting their inclusion in national, regional and global markets.
The Enterprise Advisor will embed value chain and market systems approaches in country programmes and identify collaborating partners in the development and private sectors. The post holder will encourage innovation and facilitate learning across all of our country operations.
The main purpose of this role is to lead our strategy on agribusiness opportunities for smallholder farmers, their associations, cooperatives, etc. Success in this role will be demonstrated by a measurable increase in farmer incomes, through improved market access, attracting additional financing into farmer organisations, strengthened organisation structures, and ensuring better business acumen in every farmer organisation we work with.
You will be responsible for:
- Being part of a team which wins new business and funding to support enterprise development throughout the organisation.
- Supporting programme design and facilitating new multi-stakeholder partnerships.
- Advising, training and supporting programme staff and partners on evolving good practice in promoting a business approach with smallholders.
- Participating in forums on market engagement and value chains to collect and share best practices and promote SHA’s work.
- Supporting the evaluation of SHA’s enterprise development and capturing and sharing learning to improve and promote best practice in the sector.
- Working closely with colleagues in TruTrade and Partner Africa to explore opportunities for collaboration and to win new business.
Technical excellence: ensure Self Help Africa is best in class in enterprise development, market and food systems and value chain approaches.
- Provide business support and training to programme staff and project participants on:
- Market analysis and understanding specific value chains
- Developing business plans for farmer-led businesses
- Support farmers and their cooperatives to improve productivity, added value, quality and volume for market-led agricultural livelihood activities.
- Support the graduation of farmer-led enterprises from grant to commercial finance.
- Identify and engage with strategic partners for business development in the area of micro-enterprise, farmer associations and cooperative development and support.
- Lead and contribute to developing policy documents in relation to our agribusiness work and keep abreast of innovations to inform our work.
- Develop and maintain appropriate enterprise guidelines and resources and disseminate to programme teams.
- Represent Self Help Africa in relevant regional/international communities of practice, networks in order to promote our work. Document and disseminate Self Help Africa’s experiences.
Capacity Strengthening: Strengthen the capacity of Self Help Africa to effectively support smallholder agribusinesses.
- Develop strategic relationships with key agribusiness donors and private sector companies.
- Lead capacity strengthening initiatives in agribusiness for staff and partners through developing and facilitating online training sessions and capacity building.
- Guide, advise and support field staff to conduct market and value chain assessments and feasibility studies to guide the direction of enterprise development.
- Ensure enterprise development practices are in line with Self Help Africa policies on partnership and participation; inclusion (including gender and HIV/AIDS targeting); and environment (natural resource management and adaptation to climate change).
- Contribute to effective working relationships with key external sources of technical expertise for capacity building.
- Technical Advisors at Head Office and Country Programme level
- Programmes Director
- Desk Officers
- Regional Directors/Country Directors/Heads of Programmes
- Country Representative and Business Development Coordinator DRC
- TruTrade country leads and TMEA focal point
- Partner Africa Executive Director
- Group CEO
External stakeholders including but not limited to institutional and private donors, Irish Aid, and international aid agencies such as USAID and FCDO
Partners/service providers – Establish and maintain effective working relations, particularly national and regional agribusiness.
Knowledge & Experience::
• Primary degree (minimum) in agriculture, cooperative management, social enterprise, finance, business, economics or a related discipline.
• 10 years’ experience of working in the agribusiness sector in Africa.
• The ideal candidate will have significant proven experience with a solid understanding of key development development issues.
• This is a wide ranging role so experience in a management role within the agribusiness sector across value chain management, cooperative management, business development, microfinance are all relevant.
• Excellent skills in developing and assessing business plans
• Programme cycle management.
• Excellent skills in report writing and proposal development.
• Strong research, evaluation and analytical skills.
• Experience in using participatory approaches in project design, monitoring and evaluation
• Excellent written English essential (French desirable)
• Flexibility and the ability to work in a multi-cultural team
• Commitment to working with a value-based organisation
• Self-motivated with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Good organisation, planning and management skills
• Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Self Help Africa
Download the Job Description
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and SHA reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply:
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
Closing date is Sunday 16th May 2021 at 5pm
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Specific roles may require police vetting.
Self Help Africa strives to be an Equal Opportunities Employer