Job Title: Retail Support Manager
Organisation: Self Help Africa
Location: Across Northern Ireland
Hours: Full time 35hrs
Reports to: Head of Retail
Salary: £18,887 p/a plus a mileage allowance for business travel
About Self Help Africa & United Purpose
In late 2021 Self Help Africa (SHA) and United Purpose (UP) merged. The two organisations – one headquartered in Ireland and the other in Wales – implement projects to end extreme hunger and poverty. This merger doubled our size and reach – and means that in 2022 we are implementing poverty eradication projects in 17 countries, mainly in sub-Saharan Africa. Collectively, we are also part of a group that includes social enterprise subsidiaries Partner Africa, TruTrade and Cumo Microfinance.
In 2022 our work will reach more than six million people and invest upwards of €45m in more than 100 development programmes designed to improve food systems, facilitate access to markets and financial services, combat climate change, gender inequality, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene.
This is an exciting time to join us as we unite two like-minded and entrepreneurial organisations seeking to tackle the global challenges in progressive and innovative ways.
To support existing shop coordinators and volunteers across all our shops in maximising trading potential and provide cover during periods of coordinators leave through holidays, sickness or other.
- Will be required to travel to Self Help Africa shops in the region and ensure continuity of trade.
- To maintain the Self Help Africa shops to the highest standard.
- Present both shop interior and shop window to the highest standard.
- Adherence to SHA NI shop handbook, policies and procedures.
- Drive and maximise sales within each shop when in supporting role.
- Ensure continuous supply of stock.
- Maximise the recycling business.
- Respond promptly to correspondence received from other departments.
- Keep shop costs to a minimum when in a supporting role.
- Store, file, and, if necessary, copy, all correspondence to and from the shop.
- Keep accurate financial documentation.
- To assist other departments where and when necessary.
- Recruit, train, motivate volunteer team in Retail and Customer Service skills.
- Adhere to health and safety policy.
- Ensure there is no discrimination on the grounds of age, disability, gender, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise a changing workload.
- Will be required to attend meetings set up by senior management.
- Any other tasks as requested by the Company from time to time
- Head of Retail
- SHA Retail Managers Network
- Volunteer Team
- Members of the public
Qualifications/Knowledge and Experience
- Own car (with business insurance) essential as will be required to travel to all our shops
- Must have completed secondary level education.
- Must have store management experience 2-3 years minimum
- Evidence of motivational and leadership skills
- Ambitious with a proven ability to take initiative and implement change.
- A proven track record in driving sales
- Experience of working with members of the public
- Attention to detail
- Evidence of strong commitment to excellent customer service
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Self Help Africa
- Experience in the not for profit sector.
- Sales training an advantage.
- Computer literate
How to Apply:
Full Job Description here.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the UK at the time of application.
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
Closing date is Thursday 23rd February 2023 at 5pm
All candidates offered a job with United Purpose will be expected to sign United Purpose’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. Specific roles may require Police/DBS/ vetting.
Self Help Africa and United Purpose strive to be Equal Opportunities Employers
All candidates offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. Specific roles may require Police/DBS/ vetting.
Self Help Africa strives to be an Equal Opportunities Employer