Job Title: Programme Funding Coordinator
Organisation: Self Help Africa
Location: London with flexibility to work from home
Department: Programme funding
Contract: Fixed term contract – up to nin months
About Self Help Africa:
Self Help Africa (SHA) is an international NGO, dedicated to the vision of an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa. SHA focuses on agriculture and agribusiness as the engine of growth in Africa. Our approach is collaborative and market-based: although we see our primary clients as smallholder farmers in Africa, we work with all participants in the agricultural value chain.
The Group also has two social enterprise subsidiaries – TruTrade, which supports market access for smallholder farmers in the agricultural value-chain; and Partner Africa, an ethical auditing and consultancy firm that operates across more than 40 countries across Africa.
Self Help Africa is looking to recruit a Programme Funding Coordinator on a fixed term contract to develop and maintain long-term engagement strategies with key institutional donors (government, trusts, foundations, corporates and commercial) in order to maximise SHA income and influence across its programmes in West, Southern and East Africa. The Programme Funding Coordinator will work closely with our Country Teams to develop high-quality bids to donors including FCDO, EU, USAID and UN agencies.
This role is being recruited on a nine-month fixed-term contract with the potential for this contract duration to be extended if circumstances allow.
- Identify, research and advise on new funding opportunities.
- Lead proposal development for assigned donors/prospects and for assigned SHA countries and coordinate cross-organisational teams to respond to funding opportunities.
- Contribute to meeting ambitious departmental financial and non-financial targets.
- Work closely with Programmes Department colleagues to support and/or lead contract negotiation with institutional donors.
Donor Strategy Alignment and Relationship Management
- Actively manage relationships with assigned funders and country teams.
- Maintain up-to-date information on donor priorities, strategies, regulations and activities pertaining to Self Help Africa’s strategic plan.
- Coordinate donor strategies to maximise relationships and funding from donors through: meeting donors and cultivating contacts; liaising with colleagues across the organisation to coordinate donor meetings and briefings; and writing capacity statements/quality statements for specific donors.
Programme Funding Team and Miscellaneous
- Work with colleagues within the Programme Funding team, and across SHA, to improve the standard of proposal and report writing and donor relationships, and ensure funding opportunities and contracts are managed according to donor requirements.
- Contribute to Programme Funding team reporting through ensuring donor information is up-to-date in Self Help Africa’s management information system.
- Represent SHA in donor funding-related groups and networks.
- Keep up-to-date on the agricultural development sector.
- Head of Programme Funding (Line Manager)
- Programme Funding Manager and Programme Funding Coordinators x2 (Colleagues)
- HQ Programmes Department staff (Colleagues)
- Country Directors and Heads of Programmes (Liaison)
- HQ and Country Office Finance & Admin staff (Liaison)
- Donor staff
- Partners (NGOs, private sector, academic institutions).
Knowledge, Experience and Other Requirements:
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a programme funding role.
- Evidence of success in securing funding from institutional donors, ideally including experience of FCDO, EU, USAID and/or UN agencies.
- Ability to form good working relationships and to coordinate with colleagues across the organisation and with partners in multiple locations.
- Experience of building and maintaining excellent relationships with institutional donors.
- Experience of managing and prioritising own workload, meeting tight deadlines and working under pressure.
- Excellent written skills including proposals and reports, and the ability to creatively turn complex project and/or organisational information into a compelling business cases.
- Strong and creative oral presentation skills and experience.
- Strong numeracy and analytical ability, with ability to understand complex budgets and expenditure reports.
- Ability and willingness to travel when required.
- Ability to speak/understand French and to write funding proposals in French.
- Experience and/or knowledge of agricultural development.
- Experience of humanitarian sector.
Download the Job Description
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and SHA reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply:
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the UK at the time of application.
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
Closing date is Wednesday 20th January 2021 at 5pm
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Specific roles may require police/DBS/Garda vetting.
Self Help Africa strives to be an Equal Opportunities Employer