Job Title: Agri-Business Advisor
Company: Self Help Africa
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Head of Programmes
Contract Type: Two years fixed term contract, renewable based on performance review
Job Purpose: This is a technical advisory role and focuses on the development of sustainable and profitable agri-enterprise programmes, which are fully integrated into sustainable value chains to improve the competitiveness of agricultural producers to respond to new and expanding market opportunities. The specific function of the Advisor is to support the country programme in assisting farmers organisations, such as cooperatives in on-farm and off-farm business development, developing value chain management, applying the roles of programmatic development in strategic financing, brokerage and linking different stakeholders and networking, capacity development. In addition, s/he will support the farmer organisations to provide value-added services to their members on a sustainable basis. The Advisor will also support the country programme in developing best practices in agri-enterprise by engaging with SHA HQ, SHA Regional Agri-Enterprise Advisors, and other SHA Advisors across programme countries; managing the assigned project portfolio; supporting the proposal development process; and contributing to the consolidation of internal reports.
- Support the HOP in designing and planning programmes, ensuring that farmer organisation, enterprise development, marketing and value chain development issues are adequately addressed with effective implementation strategies in line with Self Help Africa Ethiopia Country Programme strategy
- Support the HOP in resource mobilisation and acquisition through new project development for implementation of smallholder farmer-led enterprise development initiatives across the programme
- Provide technical support to programme/project staff and partners on enterprise development and private sector engagement and related activities across the programme including organisational development, business development, product development, processing and value addition, storage, market development and access to financial services for smallholder farmers
- Capacity development including designing appropriate training and developing training materials (in agribusiness, enterprise development, business management, processing and value addition etc.) for staff and farmer groups to ably facilitate organisational development, carry out market studies, business planning, product development, production and processing, value addition, storage, market development and marketing/ promotions for their enterprises
- Assist the establishment of linkages between private sector companies and farmers’ organizations that strengthen the selected agricultural value chains
- Facilitate development of mutual and sustainable Public/Private/ and Civil Society Partnerships and ensure full integration and effective engagement of smallholder farmers in different value chain systems
- Map and lead surveys of farmers organisations to determine their strengths and weaknesses in agribusiness
- Contribute to the development and strengthening of farmers’ organisations and improve their competitiveness
- Support development and utilisation of Programme Monitoring and Evaluation (PME) and documentation systems that ensure effective learning and knowledge management and fully support dissemination of best practices and evidence- based advocacy
- Keep updated on technical aspects of Agri-business, enterprise development related issues through regular reading, dialogue, participation in meetings and training
- Manage implementation of special projects from time to time as assigned by the Head of Programmes
- Prepare routine programme reports (monthly, quarterly and annually) for submission to donors and other stakeholders
- Ensure that donor guidelines are adhered to particularly in regard to grant fund allocation and utilisation
- Promotion of the organisation’s positive image through collaboration and networking
- Ensure collaboration and networking with other stakeholders such as government ministries and departments, donor agencies, NGOs and private sector organisations
- In coordination with the HOP, represent SHA at national level; to donors, local and national government authorities, other NGOs, and any other parties as required
- Contribute to the development of networks of external sources of technical expertise to support agri-enterprise development.
- Any other duties as assigned by the HOP from time to time.
- Country Management Team,
- Programme Team,
- Finance and Administration Team,
- Regional Agri-Enterprise Advisors,
- HQ Technical Advisors
- Government Authorities,
- Financial Institutions,
- Other International and Local NGOs,
- Private Sector Organisations,
- Business Advisors and Mentors.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree (preferably Master degree) in Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, Enterprise Development or related field
- At least 5 years of working experience as senior advisor in NGO sector at technical level across development programmes focusing on enterprise development, value chain development, value addition, business management or agri-business with strong private sector linkages
- 7 years’ experience of project cycle management approaches, project appraisal, monitoring and evaluation and partners’ capacity building.
- Good knowledge and understanding of key aspects of development work; including agricultural marketing and value chains analysis methodologies, food, nutrition, and livelihood security, natural resource management and environmental resilience planning, cross-cutting themes (e.g. gender, inclusion HIV/AIDS), and integration of disaster mitigation and climate change response in development programming
- Considerable experience in budgeting/financial procedures, and writing management and financial reports to donors
- Proven ability to motivate, provide technical support and guidance to a diverse team of staff and partners
- Experience in participatory market surveys and value chain analysis of different agricultural commodities
- Skills in training/facilitation of development processes, including mobilisation of communities and networking among different development partners such as community-based organisations, government officers and implementing partner staff
- Commitment to international and humanitarian NGO codes, standards and practices
- High level of integrity and high standards of personal conduct.
How to apply:
Please submit: A completed application form together with CV/resume and a covering letter before Feb 21, 2020, explaining why you want the position and why you think you are particularly suited to the role. Applications should be in a Word document or in pdf. Make it clear which position you are applying for by writing the Position in the subject line of your e-mail as follows [AB + Your name].The application should be submitted by email to the following email addresses:
Closing date for applications is 21 February 2020.
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Specific roles may require police/DBS/Garda vetting.
All applicants are encouraged to read through the following safeguarding policies as you make your applications:
Women applicants are highly encouraged; Self Help Africa is an Equal Opportunities Employer