Job Title: Senior Financial Accountant (SFA)
Organisation: Self Help Africa
Location: Hybrid working model – 2 days per week in the Dublin Office
Contract: Full Time – Permanent
Reports to: Financial Controller
About Self Help Africa
Self Help Africa is an international development organisation that works through agriculture and agri-enterprise development to end hunger and extreme poverty. In 2021, Self Help Africa merged with United Purpose, doubling our size.
The organisation now works in 17 programme countries, 15 of these are in sub-Saharan Africa. Subsidiary organisations, ‘Self Help Brazil’ and ‘Self Help Bangladesh’ have been created for our programmes in the two countries where we are working outside of Africa.
In early 2023 we launched a new five-year organisation strategy, which defines shared mission as the alleviation of hunger, poverty, social inequality and the impact of climate change through community-led, market-based and enterprise-focused approaches, so that people can have access to nutritious food, clean water, decent employment and incomes, while sustaining natural resources.
Our wider organisation also includes social enterprise subsidiaries Partner Africa, which provides ethical auditing and consultancy services, TruTrade, an innovative trading platform in East Africa, and CUMO, Malawi’s largest micro-finance provider.
Our three core values are:
▪ Impact: We are accountable, ambitious and committed to systemic change.
▪ Innovation: We are agile, creative and enterprising in an ever-changing world.
▪ Community: We are inclusive, honest and have integrity in our relationships.
The SFA is a key member of the Global finance team providing high quality financial information and supporting key business decisions across the organisation. The SFA ensure the efficient delivery of management accounts, have responsibility for monthly payroll, engage with and act as the main point of contact for local auditor and support on cash forecasting, budgeting, banking, and data analysis. The SFA will line manage the Accounts Payable team to ensure the accurate and effective delivery of payments.
- Ensuring timely and accurate quarterly management accounts
- Analysis of income/expenditure by project and donor
- Providing accurate split of restricted and unrestricted funding
- Managing intercompany balances and reconciliations
- Account reconciliations
- Quarterly review with HQ departments
- Maintenance of nominal ledger including journal posting and expense coding.
- Responsible for monthly HQ payroll processing including managing new starters and leavers, benefits, expenses, PAYE submission, processing net payment via EFT and liaising with HR on payroll related matters.
Account Payable Management
- Line management of the accounts payable team – team of three
- Ensuring the timely payment of domestic and international transactions
- Approvals, oversight, project and decision-making support as needed
- Main point of contact for the local auditors
- Prompt provision of all requested data
- Responding to audit queries or escalating as necessary
- Assisting the cash forecasting process with current information pertaining to the various bank accounts
- Assisting in the preparation of the annual budget.
- Review bank transactions with timely identification of all payments and lodgements.
- Administrator for all online banking platforms
- Update bank mandates as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Programme Finance team as appropriate.
- Support on data analysis, preparation of Management Reports and board packs.
- Provide cover and other financial management support to the team as necessary.
- Finance Director
- Financial Controller
- Financial Advisor
- Account Payable Team
- HR team
- Function directors and Regional Directors
- Global Programme Finance Coordinator
- Financial Systems Analyst
- Finance department staff
- Statutory auditors
- Banking institutions
- Key institutional donors
- Other external stakeholders
Knowledge, Experience and Other Requirements:
- Accounting Qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA) with at least 3 years PQE
- Previous experience of PSF a distinct advantage
- High level of initiative, motivation, commitment, and professionalism
- Competent with MS Office with medium to advanced Excel ability
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organisational, and written skills
- Strong people management and communication skills.
- Hands-on experience of systems implementation would be an advantage.
- Financial experience in the not-for-profit sector desirable but not essential
How to Apply:
Full Job Description here.
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
The closing date for applications is 20th September 2023 at 5pm.
Self Help Africa strives to be an Equal Opportunities Employer
All candidates offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. Specific roles may require Police/DBS/ vetting.