Job Title: Risk and Compliance Manager, ENTERPRISE Zambia
Organisation: Self Help Africa
Reports to: Team Leader ENTERPRISE Zambia & Head of Finance and
Administration, Self Help Africa – Zambia
Length of contract: 2 years contract, renewable upon satisfactory performance
Benefits: 24 days annual leave, Gratuity 25%, Medical Insurance and 5%
Employer pension contribution
Restrictions: Extensive travel required within Zambia
About Self Help Africa:
Self Help Africa (SHA) is an International Non-Governmental Organisation implementing rural development, sustainable food and livelihoods security programmes in nine countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. SHA’s vision is an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa with a mission to support sustainable livelihoods for Uganda’s smallholder farmers. SHA has been working in Uganda for close to 20 years.
The SHA programme in Teso sub-region is implemented through the organisation War on Want Northern Ireland (WoWNI) that works in partnership with three national NGOs in the districts of Ngora, Katakwi, Amuria, Kapelebyong and Kalaki with a key focus on reducing poverty and hunger and improving sustainable livelihoods in the sub-region. SHA Uganda now urgently seeks to recruit a suitable candidate to fill the following position.
The main function of this role is to support the successful management of our EU funded grant known as ENTERPRISE Zambia. The programme provides financial support to agro-food businesses in Zambia that have a substantial positive impact on small-scale producers. This will be achieved through the establishment and use of best practice project management systems, providing expert advice on donor requirements and regulations, by supporting contract negotiation and review and by helping to build staff capacity to ensure compliance with contractual and donor regulations. The job holder shall implement, support and audit relevant quality assurance systems across the ENTERPRISE Zambia programme including with contracted companies. The job holder will ensure that all systems, processes and documentation of all transactions will remain compliant to EU regulations, SHA policies and related legislation.
• Under the overall supervision of the ENTERPRISE Zambia Team Leader and with the technical support of Self Help Africa’s (SHA) Head of Finance and Administration (HoFA), the Contracts & Compliance Manager will be responsible for developing, implementing and co-ordinating the ENTERPRISE Zambia risk management strategy and reviewing of systems and controls to ensure compliance to the EU Donor Rules and Regulations and SHA’s policies and procedures.
• As part of the ENTERPRISE Zambia Implementation Team (EZIT), contribute to the development of an operations manual and subsequently review, appraise and report on compliance with this manual.
• As part of EZIT, perform due diligence to aid in short listing of funding proposals
• As part of EZIT and together with the Portfolio manager, visit shortlisted candidates and perform due diligence
• As part of EZIT contribute to drafting of contracts, establishing reporting requirements, milestones, deliverables and objectives on both sides.
• Review value chain partners’ transactions and ensure compliance, monitor, report & mitigate risk exposure at all levels of the EZ Project by providing training, guidance and capacity building to partners on compliance and financial reporting.
• Inform and update partners on Conflicts of Interest Policy, Code of Conduct Policy, Fraud and Whistleblowing Policies, Safeguarding Policies, Information Sharing Guidelines and Complaints Response Mechanisms.
• Perform financial audits, compliance reviews of partner reports to evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, reliability of financial reporting and compliance with applicable regulations (EU rules and regulations, SHA policies, labour laws and other regulation).
• Provide training and information so that relevant staff understand the policies and are given assistance when needed.
• Ensure all key donor requirements are shared and understood with staff and engaged partners.
• Review and implement filing systems (soft copy and paper) for holding and processing client data that are compliant with prevailing legislation
• Monitor and evaluate performance against standards or agreed targets. Use audits, feedback loops and corrective action to ensure continuous improvement. Prioritise and escalate issues resulting in non-compliance
• Report on the findings of work-review processes and make recommendations as appropriate.
• Together with the Head of Finance and Administration, coordinate the annual audits and expenditure verification exercise
• Follow up with the implementation of the audit recommendations following an expenditure review and annual audit exercise
• ENTERPRISE Zambia Implementation Team (EZIT) – Establish good working relationships with team members.
• External Compliance Partner – Provide information and support to external compliance partner, work with advisors to identify efficiencies and improvements, to action improvements.
• SHA Head of Finance – To support and work with Head of Finance
• SHA Zambia Leadership Team – To work with and provide reporting
• ENTERPRISE Zambia – Partners – Build trust and rapport while providing support and maintaining oversight
• SHA Dublin – Compliance and Finance Manager – to support on ad hoc queries
Knowledge and Experience:
• Five years practical experience in finance department, at least two of
which should be in risk and compliance for grant management
• Internationally recognised accounting qualification or quality management qualification (ZICA, ACCA, CIMA other internationally recognised accounting qualification)
• Strong technical abilities and up to date knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
• Fluency in spoken and written English
• Experience of managing donor funds and contracts
• Experience in compliance and Risk management
• Experience of managing, training and supporting staff
• Willingness to travel nationally and internationally
• Previous experience of managing EU funding
• Experience working with partner organisations
• Experience of undertaking risk assessments, internal audits and/or assessing internal controls
• Excellent verbal, analytical, organisational and written skills
• People management skills
• Proactive and motivated with a strong commitment to Self Help Africa’s vision, mission and values
• Excellent ICT skills including a good knowledge of MS Office and accounting software
• Attention to detail and ability to produce timely, accurate, financial reports
Download the application form here
Please apply online using this form
Good luck with your application!
Please note that Self Help Africa Uganda advocates for equal opportunity and does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Self Help Africa is committed to the highest possible standards of openness, transparency, and accountability in all its affairs and is completely against fraud, bribery, and corruption. All employees are bound by code of conduct, child protection and conflict of interest policies.
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Police vetting is required.
All applicants are encouraged to read through the following safeguarding policies as you make your applications:
Women applicants are highly encouraged; Self Help Africa is an Equal Opportunities Employer