Job Title: Project Officer – Agribusiness
Location: Karonga and Chitipa
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party: KULIMA Better Extension Training Transforming Economic Returns Project (BETTER)
Effective: 1st December 2020
Job purpose: Self Help Africa (SHA) is an international NGO dedicated to the vision of an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa. We have 50 years of experience working with smallholder farmers and rural communities across Africa to help farmers grow and sell more food, improve their nutrition, diversify incomes and make their livelihoods more sustainable and resilient to external shocks. SHA has been active in Malawi since 1994, delivering enterprising solutions that help the rural poor recover from disasters, improve their food and livelihood security and support economic development. Our vision is an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa. Our mission is to support sustainable livelihoods for Africa’s smallholder farmers. Our values are: Equality – people are equal in rights and must be treated with respect and dignity. Innovation – we are conscious that finding effective solutions requires innovative thinking combined with a pragmatic approach. Learning – we strive for the highest quality standards in our work and encourage a culture of constant learning and improvement. Accountability – accountability and transparency are central to all our actions and use of resources.
Self Help Africa as lead agency, in collaboration with Total Land care and RUMARK, with funding from the GIZ, will be implementing a project called CADMORE. The purpose of this project is to improve agri-business profitability of 5,400 smallholder farmers organized in 180 Farmer Organizations (FOs) and 96 Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in Chitipa, Karonga, Mzimba and Nkhatabay Districts of Malawi. This project will work with existing FOs involved in the Soybean, Cassava and Groundnut value chains.
The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring that the targeted beneficiaries grow their business, develop their various entrepreneurial capacities and access sustainable markets. The incumbent should also be able to roll out Farmer Business Schools, Cooperative Business Schools, Agri – finance trainings and facilitate market linkages with ultimate beneficiaries.
The Project Officer will fulfil the following responsibilities for SHA Malawi Country Programme:
- Providing tailor made capacity building programmes to smallholders and Farmer Organizations engaged in cassava, soybeans, and groundnut value chains
- Facilitate training of smallholders in Farmer business school approach.
- Facilitate training of Farmer Organizations in Cooperative Business School
- Facilitate training of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in Agri – Finance
- Facilitate business and peer to peer linkage events between smallholders, Farmers organizations and MSMEs
- Facilitate coaching sessions for Farmer organizations and MSMEs in business management and Agri – finance.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the District Coordinator from time to time
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in Agribusiness, Agriculture Economics, Enterprise Development, or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years proven work experience in Agri – business programming
- Ability to effectively participate and contribute to a multi-stakeholder project,
- Ability to facilitate technical meetings and processes effectively,
- Strong experience working on creating smallholder markets,
- He/She should possess a valid motorcycle riders license,
- He/she is expected to work 90% in the field and 10% in the office.
Country Office & Project team
Area of responsibility:
Deputy Chief of Party/Head of Programme
It is expected that you will:
- Carry out these accountabilities within the operating and process frameworks that apply to the whole Self Help Africa organisation.
- Work together with all your key stakeholders: line and functional to ensure organisational objectives, mission and vision are met.
- Exemplify the Self Help Africa Standards of Integrity, Purpose & Values.
Please submit by 5pm of 20th November 2020 a completed application form, CV and motivation letter which can be downloaded here:
Completed application forms, a motivation letter, and an updated curriculum, for the vacancies should be upload to the Self Help Africa recruitment portal by clicking here.
Safeguarding Statement: Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. Specific roles may require police/DBS/garda vetting.
SHA is an equal opportunities employer