Job Title: Office Manager – Country Office
Organisation: Self Help Africa/ United Purpose
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Contract type: Fixed Term
Reports to: Operations and Finance Manager
About Self Help Africa & United Purpose
In late 2021 Self Help Africa (SHA) and United Purpose (UP) merged. The two organisations – one headquartered in Ireland and the other in Wales – implement projects to end extreme hunger and poverty.
This merger doubled our size and reach – and means that in 2022 we are implementing poverty eradication projects in 17 countries, mainly in sub-Saharan Africa. Collectively, we are also part of a group that includes social enterprise subsidiaries Partner Africa, TruTrade and Cumo Microfinance.
In 2022 our work will reach more than six million people and invest upwards of €45m in more than 100 development programmes designed to improve food systems, facilitate access to markets and financial services, combat climate change, gender inequality, and improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene.
This is an exciting time to join us as we unite two like-minded and entrepreneurial organisations seeking to tackle the global challenges in progressive and innovative ways.
To support Self Help Africa operations by maintaining office systems.
Responsibilities and Activities
R1: Management & Secretarial Tasks:
- Information management and communication
- Safety of company assets and records
- Secretarial services management
- Management of car pool and other travel arrangements
- Responsible for writing the minutes of the team meeting Finance Department
- Preparation of Public Relation materials and events with support of the appointed PR committee
- Serve as the point person for office manager duties including: the reception area, maintenance, mailing, equipment, bills, errands
- Fix appointments and when necessary, research for information according to the needs of the Country Office
- Follow up on all the rendez vous of the Country Director
- Place important notices on the main notice board
R2: Book Keeping/Finances Tasks:
- Ensure that petty cash expenditures are properly documented/supported
- Prepare requisitions of office supplies/materials
- Coordinate and monitor invoice preparation and payment for offices in the country
- Inputting data into payments spreadsheet
- Prepare necessary requests for funds prior to field travels of the Country Director
- Provide support to the Department of Finance and Administration
R3: Store management:
- Ordering and taking stock of office supplies
- Ensuring records of all supplies are up-to-date and inflows balanced against outflows
- Diploma in Secretarial Studies or any related field.
- All Staff
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Communication skills
- Management skills
- Information and records management skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Basic accounting skills
- Front office & customer care skills
- Leadership skills
- Basic knowledge of Private Sector operations
Download the Job Description
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and SHA reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply:
Please download the Application Form and fill it in. Qualified candidates should upload a completed application form, motivational letter and CV to the SHA Online Recruitment Portal (click the green hyperlink). If you experience issues with the Recruitment Portal, please visit this link for assistance: https://bit.ly/SHA_TechSupport1
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
Closing date is Friday 3rd February at 5pm EAT.
Please note that Self Help Africa Uganda advocates for equal opportunity and does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Self Help Africa is committed to the highest possible standards of openness, transparency, and accountability in all its affairs and is completely against fraud, bribery, and corruption. All employees are bound by code of conduct, child protection and conflict of interest policies.
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Police vetting is required.
All applicants are encouraged to read through the following safeguarding policies as you make your applications:
Women applicants are highly encouraged; Self Help Africa is an Equal Opportunities Employer