Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Organisation: Self Help Africa – Ethiopia
Location: Addis Zemen/Woreta and Akesta/Legambo
Reports to: Cluster Coordinator
Contract type: One and half years fixed term contract
Required Qty: 2
About Self Help Africa:
Self Help Africa (SHA) is an international NGO dedicated to the vision of an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa. We have 50 years of experience working with smallholder farmers, farmer associations, cooperatives and agribusinesses across Africa to help farmers grow and sell more food, improve diets, diversify incomes and make their livelihoods more sustainable and resilient to external shocks. SHA also builds awareness of issues affecting smallholders and represent their interests at policy and institutional level.
SHA is a core member of The Gorta Group which is composed of a group of innovative organizations driving sustainable economic and social change across Africa. Comprising Self Help Africa, Partner Africa and TruTrade, the Gorta Group combines expertise in market-based solutions to poverty and rural development; climate change mitigation and resilience; trade facilitation and farmer and worker rights; underpinned by an inclusive ethos that specifically targets women and youth. In August 2021, United Purpose joined the Gorta Group, which operates as Self Help Africa (SHA), bringing together two organizations with proud histories of assisting those in greatest need. United Purpose, formerly Concern Universal, has worked for more than 40 years as a leader in community-led development and grassroots innovation. SHA now has over 700 staff worldwide, as a result of the merger, and a global turnover of over €40m. We are currently implementing a portfolio of 80 projects in Bangladesh, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Uganda and Zambia funded by a variety of institutional and private donors including the European Union, Irish Aid and World Food Programme. In 2020, we supported close to eight million people in rural communities across sub-Saharan Africa, Brazil and Bangladesh.
SHA-Ethiopia currently seeks to recruit technical support on the Rural Resilience Initiative (R4) project implemented in 16 woredas of Amhara region financed by WFP.
The goal of the R4 project is to improve food security, nutrition and livelihoods of over 54,000 smallholder farmers vulnerable to climate-related shocks. This will be realized by achieving four inter-related outcomes/components:
Component 1) Risk Reduction – improved natural resource management and disaster risk reduction through asset rehabilitation and creation;
Component 2) Risk Transfer – Assist farmers in coping and stimulating faster recovery to extreme climate events;
Component 3) Risk Retention – strengthen financial literacy, savings capacity of food insecure households; and
Component 4) Prudent Risk Taking – Enhanced smallholder access to microloans/credit and technical assistance to diversify and increase their incomes
The position holder will be responsible for providing technical assistance for the development of planning, monitoring and evaluation systems for the R4 project and ensure the effective operation of a monitoring and evaluation system at the respective field programmes. She/he has an individual responsibility to support the preparation of project annual work plans (AWP), project development, and support the process of planning, monitoring and evaluation. S/he will manage the performance measurement framework (PMF), data flow chart of project activities, update the Risk matrix, and supervise implementation of data collection process by communicating to the project manager, the field staffs and the implementing partners. Moreover, the incumbent with close technical back-up from the M&E Advisor will contribute to donors’ compliance.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide quality M&E technical assistance to the R4 project and implementing partners.
- Ensure that SHA’s project planning, monitoring and evaluation processes meet the sector standards and comply with external accountability requirements.
- Manage SHA project’s PMF, dataflow chart, data collection process and data entry into the database system.
- Provide support to field project officers and implementing partners on data collection, data entry and reporting.
- Assist with the development of annual work plan (AWP), performance management frameworks, and logic models and track the project’s operation accordingly.
- Maintain and update the Risk matrix.
- S/he will assist the program team to undertake program/projects monitoring and evaluation to ensure that the R4 Project will perform as planned and that the desired impact will be realized.
- Assist with the documentation and dissemination of findings, best practices and lessons learnt and provide feedback to SHA’s project staff and implementing partners.
- S/he will assist in the preparation of quarterly, bi-annual, annual and interim status reports as required and compile and prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports for different stakeholders.
- Assist in timely and accurate documentation, publication and dissemination of the business development and financial literacy activities. This includes success stories, lessons learned, etc.
- Perform other duties given by her/his supervisor
- Cluster Coordinator (Line Manager)
- M&E Advisor
- Project Manager
- R4 Project Team,
- SHA Ethiopia Country Office
- Project Donor
- Local Government Authorities,
- Financial Institutions,
- Other International and Local NGOs,
- Private Sector Organisations,
- Business Advisors and Mentors.
Qualifications/ Knowledge and Experience
- BA/BSc or equivalent degree in Economics, development study, Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Extension, or related fields
- 3-5 years substantial experience in managing database, data collection, data entry and analysis.
- At least 5 years of experience with M&E methods and approaches, including designing, planning, and implementing M&E systems, analyzing and reporting using a logical framework and other strategic planning approaches
- Experience with climate change and/or resilience programmes is desirable
- Strong interpersonal and management skills required
- Ability to work in short deadlines and intense work environment; Strong team building and motivational skills/Team oriented
- Excellent and proven computer skills, Statistical data analysis and database management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and project reporting skills is a must
- Ability to develop well written, cohesive analyses and reports quickly and efficiently
- Strong analytical, program management, and financial analysis skills
- Proven ability to work in multidisciplinary and multi-stakeholder working environments
- Experience working in an NGO setting
- Ability to work and act under pressure
Download the Job Description
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and SHA reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply:
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
If you are experiencing any problem with submitting your online application please visit this link for assistance: https://bit.ly/SHA_TechSupport1
Closing date is Friday 12th August 2022 at 5pm
Please note that Self Help Africa Ethiopia advocates for equal opportunity and does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Self Help Africa is committed to the highest possible standards of openness, transparency, and accountability in all its affairs and is completely against fraud, bribery, and corruption. All employees are bound by code of conduct, child protection and conflict of interest policies.
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Police vetting is required.
All applicants are encouraged to read through the following safeguarding policies as you make your applications:
Women applicants are highly encouraged; Self Help Africa is an Equal Opportunities Employer