Job Title: Head of Internal Audit
Company: Self Help Africa
Location: Dublin with 50% travel to field sites
Reports to: Chair of Audit Finance and Risk Committee (AFRC), Executive Director (ED)
Salary range: €55,000 to €65,000
Contract Type: Full time permanent
Self Help Africa is an Irish-headquartered international development organisation that is dedicated to ending hunger and poverty in rural Africa. It is the main operating entity in the Gorta group of companies that also includes Partner Africa, Traidlinks, TruTrade and Self Help Africa NI.
We are an ambitious and growing organisation with expertise in small-scale farming, growing farm businesses, nutrition and supporting rural poor communities to access new markets and earn fair prices for their produce. We have recently added humanitarian response to our portfolio to allow us to provide emergency assistance to communities that we work with.
Self Help Africa is the result of a series of mergers that have taken place in the past decade. In 2008, Self Help Africa was formed from the merger of Irish NGO Self Help Development International and UK-based Harvest Help. In 2014 a merger was concluded with Gorta, Ireland’s longest established international agricultural development organisation. A series of other, smaller NGOs have also become a part of the organisation, including Africa Now, Traidlinks and War on Want N.I.
Self Help Africa receives funding support for its work from the general public, as well as from Irish Aid, The European Union, UK Aid, USAID, a wide variety of philanthropic trusts and foundations and other sources. We have a long track record of success, and this year will help to lift close to four million people out of extreme poverty.
Self Help Africa has a strong retail presence with 24 retail charity outlets on the island of Ireland. We also have subsidiary social enterprises in TruTrade, providing smallholder farmers in East Africa with a reliable source to market for their produce; and Partner Africa, a consultancy that provides ethical audits and promotes socially responsible business practice across the continent of Africa.Self Help Africa currently works in eight countries in sub-Saharan Africa, and has offices in Dublin, London, Belfast, Shrewsbury and New York.
To provide the board and stakeholders assurance, that SHA is meeting its statutory, donor and self-imposed obligations and standards. This will mean ensuring that regular and ad hoc audits of Self Help Africa and the Gorta group of companies are carried out.
Positioned outside the Finance function, the Head of Internal Audit will provide independent advice and recommendations to the AFRC, the board and its other sub-committees in a systematic, disciplined way that evaluates and improves the effectiveness of SHA’s risk management, controls, management processes and governance processes.
– Formalise and lead the internal Audit function.
– Develop a SHA Internal Audit Charter to outline purpose, scope and intention of SHAs Internal Audit Department
– Promote a culture of compliance with SHA’s risk management, internal control processes, policies, manuals and procedures and external regulations such as major institutional donor rules and regulations.
– Prepare and manage implementation of organisation’s internal Audit plan.
– Plan, manage and lead the internal audit assignments in HQ, country offices, subsidiary companies and partner organisations in line with the plan.
– Utilise current internal audit resources (pro bono support) to maximise the output and coverage that the Internal Audit function can yield.
– Build and manage relationships with senior management.
– Produce clear concise audit reports for submission to the AFRC / ED and agree follow-up actions and implementation deadlines.
– Follow-up agreed actions and their implementation.
– In conjunction with the Compliance and Finance Manager (CFM) train, develop and coach in-country Internal Auditors/Compliance Officers and Finance Officers and support them in delivering their plans to replicate this in partner organisations.
– In conjunction with the Compliance and Finance Manager ensure all policies and procedures are up to date, compliant with donor requirements and consistent with international best practice.
– Conduct audits of specific donor projects and programmes to replicate the conditions of an actual donor audit.
– Conduct any ad-hoc internal audit, due diligence, compliance and/or financial investigation assignments as requested by the AFRC or the board.
– Given the possibility of donor audits for particular programmes try to ensure that current and past programmes are audit ready.
– Ensure that SHA is providing value for money and seek out opportunities to reduce costs and root out inefficiencies.
– Promote a culture of compliance throughout the organisation with a focus on risk management and the prevention of fraud and corruption.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 10 years practical finance experience, of which at least five years is at a senior level, preferably in a mid to large international NGO.
- Internationally recognised Accounting Qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA)
- Previous experience of working in financial and internal audit
- Previous experience of working with institutional donor funding and an understanding of the audit/compliance environment in which institutional donors operate
- Understanding of the key principles of sound financial management and the standard policies and procedures that apply in the INGO sector
- An understanding of risk based management
- Willingness to spend up to 50 per cent of time working at country office level in Africa.
Desirable / Advantageous
- Genuine interest in the not-for-profit sector
- Experience of working in the overseas development sector
- Knowledge of Salesforce
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organisational and written skills
- Ability to interact internationally and across cultures
- Positive, proactive and motivated with a strong commitment to Gorta-Self Help Africa’s vision, mission and values
- Excellent ICT skills including a good knowledge of MS Office and accounting software
- Attention to detail and the ability to produce timely and accurate reports
- Audit Finance and Risk Committee, particularly the Chair
- Executive Director
- Chief Finance and Operations Officer
- Compliance and Finance Manager
- Finance staff throughout organisation
- Contracted / pro-bono internal audit resources
- Country Management Teams and their support finance and admin teams
- Statutory auditors
- Institutional donors
Self Help Africa is an equal opportunities employer
Please fill in the application form below and send it with Cover letter and C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions without our application form (can be downloaded below), a cover letter and C.V. will not be considered.
Make it clear which position you are applying for by writing the position in the subject line of your e-mail [+ Your name]”.
Closing date: 5pm Friday 4th May 2018
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview by e-mail and date for interview will be communicated.
Please click the link to download the Application Form
Please click the link to download the Job Description