Job Title: Direct Marketing and Fundraising Assistant
Department: Business Development
Contract Type: 1-Year Contract
Reports to: Database Manager and Events & Community Manager
Self Help Africa (SHA) is an international NGO, dedicated to the vision of an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa. SHA focuses on agriculture and agribusiness as the engine of growth in Africa.
Our approach is collaborative and market-based: although we see our primary clients as smallholder farmers in Africa, we work with all participants in the agricultural value chain.
The Group also has social enterprise subsidiaries – TruTrade, which supports market access for small-holder farmers in the agricultural value-chain; Traidlinks, providing market-linkages to agri-business in East Africa; and Partner Africa, an ethical auditing and consultancy firm that operates across more than 40 countries in sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East. Self Help Africa is also the lead agency in the delivery of a schools national Development Education programme on behalf of the Irish government, WorldWise Global Schools.
The main purpose of this role is to deliver excellent administrative support to the Fundraising team, with a focus on direct marketing, donor care and church gates fundraising.
You will work closely with the Database Manager and the Direct Marketing Manager on a daily basis and will assist in producing high quality donor communications to donors in Ireland and Northern Ireland. You will also provide administrative support to the events team and the church gates fundraising schedule.
Duties & Responsibilities – Direct Marketing and Donor Care
• Work with Direct Marketing Manager to ensure high quality donor journeys
• Work with Direct Marketing Manager to produce digital and hardcopy supporter communications
• Ensure high quality donor care and relationships with donors and supporters
• Process cash/individual donations as required but especially during peak appeal periods
• Deal with donor complaints and queries
• Maintain donor profiles and keep them up to date on the CRM
• Deal appropriately with returned mail & update returned information on the CRM
Duties & Responsibilities – Database
• Create and upload Direct Debit Files for bank processing on a weekly basis
• Download and process direct debit rejections
• Help with monthly bank reconciliations
• Ensure all GDPR procedures are correctly followed as regards donor information
• Process the S848a CHY3 (Tax) forms returned from donors
• Ad hoc problem solving as issues arise with donor records on Salesforce
• Answer and redirect incoming calls to the main switch/office when required
• Undertake any other duties in the fundraising team that may be required from time to time
Duties & Responsibilities – Church Gates
• Coordinate permit applications, lodgement and receipting for church gate collections, and support the Church Gates Officer when required
Duties & Responsibilities – Administrative Support
• Support the Office Co-ordinator in answering the phone and receiving and announcing visitors, accepting deliveries; dealing with inbound and outbound couriers promptly. Ensuring that a nominated colleague is available to answer the phone during periods of absence
• Ensure filing and administration systems are kept up to date
• Manage the opening/distribution of post and do the daily Post Office run
• Any other duties to support the Fundraising team and general administration
• Fundraising Team, in particular the Direct Marketing Manager, the Database Manager, Events Manager and Church Gates Officer
• Finance team
• Office Co-ordinator
• Donors, supporters, suppliers such as telemarketing agencies, printers, donor recruitment agencies
Qualifications/Knowledge and Experience:
• Third level certificate or diploma
• Confident and professional telephone manner and ability to deal sensitively with donor queries
• Experience of working on databases
• Sales, marketing, or other customer service role experience
• Skills in MS Office in particular MS Excel and MS Word
• Ability to work on own initiative and prioritise own work in order to meet objectives
• Fluent in English language
• Knowledge of Salesforce CRM
• Digital and social media marketing experience
• Ability to work as part of a wider team
• Experience in a busy office environment
How to apply:
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Ireland at the time of application.
Closing date is the 24th September 2019 at 12pm.
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
Please click the link to download the Job Description
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Specific roles may require police/DBS/Garda vetting.
Self Help Africa strives to be an Equal Opportunities Employer