Job Title: Country Director, Kenya
Organisation: Self Help Africa
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Contract: Three years, from January 2024
Reports to: Regional Director
About Self Help Africa:
Self Help Africa is an international development organisation that works through agriculture and agri-enterprise development to end hunger and extreme poverty.
The organisation has programmes in 15 countries in sub-Saharan Africa and implements projects in Brazil and Bangladesh.
In early 2023 we launched a new five-year organisation strategy, which defines shared mission as the alleviation of hunger, poverty, social inequality, and the impact of climate change through community-led, market-based, and enterprise-focused approaches, so that people can have access to nutritious food, clean water, decent employment, and incomes, while sustaining natural resources.
Our wider organisation also includes social enterprise subsidiaries Partner Africa, which provides ethical auditing and consultancy services, TruTrade, an innovative trading platform in Kenya, and CUMO, Malawi’s largest micro-finance provider.
Our three core values are:
▪ Impact: We are accountable, ambitious, and committed to systemic change.
▪ Innovation: We are agile, creative, and enterprising in an ever-changing
▪ Community: We are inclusive, honest and have integrity in our
The Country Director is the senior role in the country programme and Kenya has a dynamic and varied country portfolio. Self Help Africa has a long-established presence in Kenya, with approximately 60 full-time staff running development and humanitarian projects that encompass enterprise development and climate resilience programming with smallholder farmers. The Kenya programme, with an annual budget for 2023 of €8m, has a strong focus on supporting market access, trade, and enterprise development, underpinned by natural resource management, green economy approaches, gender and nutrition sensitive programming and climate change adaptation across the country. The team, located in Nairobi and 4 regional project locations, are experienced in fund management and multi-stakeholder management.
We are looking for a dynamic and entrepreneurial professional with significant programme management and proven business growth experience, to drive forward our mission and vision and deepening of our impact, through delivering high quality programmes and ensuring that the processes of planning, implementation as well as monitoring, evaluation, and learning, are robust. The Country Director will be responsible for overseeing all areas of Self Help Africa’s and TruTrade’s operations in Kenya, leveraging on their networks and resources, driving business growth, and providing leadership and strategy guidance to the country teams, with five direct reports.
This role offers an exciting opportunity for an experienced Country Director to lead the team to grow the programme in line with the ambitious strategy that responds to the ambition of the Kenya National Development Plans. The country portfolio of programmes is supported with a diversity of funder including Irish Aid, the European Union, Slovak Aid, the Global Evergreening Alliance, Trade Mark Africa, Teagasc and several Trusts and Foundations.
The Country Director will also take full ownership for growing Self Help Africa operations in Kenya. This will focus on growing the funding base and exploring new income streams to help us increase our footprint and maximise our impact through securing and implementing new programmes. The Country Director will collaborate with international organisations, national government, national organisations and the private sector to design and finance innovative programmes that strengthen agricultural value chains, support entrepreneurs and their businesses and drive rural economic development and reduce poverty.
• Ensure we have an effective, representative, supported and high performing team in the Kenya programme.
• You will manage a large and diverse team, providing direct line management to members of the Country Management Team and working strategically with the Team Leader of the Agrifi Project.
• Proactively promote team building and cohesion strategies to ensure effective and people centred delivery of our mission.
• You will ensure efficiencies in the operation of a joint country team using shared services.
New business development and stakeholder relationship management:
• You will be responsible for building relationships in-country to identify new opportunities and win funding for new programmes.
• You will build in-country partnerships to expand our footprint in Kenya
• You will represent SHA and TruTrade and present in national, regional, and international fora and build the profile of both organisations.
Programme management & operations:
• You will develop, present, and implement the strategic vision, overall goals, and objectives for SHA.
• You will oversee the implementation of all programmes in Kenya, ensuring SHA meets all key targets
• You will work with the Head of Programmes to ensure all programmes are effectively monitored and evaluated so we can demonstrate our success, impact, and value for money.
• You will work with the Head of Programmes to effectively manage our relationship with partners as we strengthen our localization approach.
• You will ensure that SHA and TruTrade are recognised as thought leaders in agriculture and agribusiness in Kenya.
Finance, audit, and risk:
• You will oversee the financial management and will ensure programmes are delivered in a cost-effective manner, ensuring a value for money approach and that major costs are successfully recovered from programme funding.
• You will ensure a culture of accountability and adherence to all group policies and to staff welfare and security.
• You will ensure compliance with all programme and donor requirements.
Based at our global office: Programmes Operations Lead & Regional Director – East Africa, Great Lakes & Bangladesh (Line Manager), Group CEO, Programmes Director, Group Finance Director and, Global Programmes Coordinator, Head of Programme Funding, Head of the Technical Advisory and Research Team, Head of M&E and Humanitarian Director.
Country Head of Programmes and Country Head of Finance and Administration (direct reports), Regional Finance Coordinator – (indirect report), & Team Leader Agrifi.
Also: Regional Directors Southern and West Africa, HR and Fundraising and Communications teams
Strategic country programme partners, Government representatives, Donors, Private sector and Business Network representatives, INGO & Civil society representatives.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
• Minimum of five years’ senior management experience
• Previous experience running multi-sectoral teams to deliver complex programmes either in a development or private sector setting in sub-Saharan Africa.
• A proven ability to deliver new income opportunities through proactive and sustained business development activity.
• A proven ability to develop, implement and adapt organisational and business strategy.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, both in formal and informal settings
• Strong financial analysis and management skills
• Fluency in English
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and SHA reserves the right to make necessary changes.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Monday 2nd October 2023 at 5pm.
Self Help Africa strives to be an Equal Opportunities Employer
If you are experiencing any problem with submitting your online application please visit this link for assistance: https://bit.ly/SHA_TechSupport1
All candidates offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. Specific roles may require Police/DBS/ vetting.