Job Title: Community Development Officer
Organisation: Self Help Africa – Ethiopia
Location: Oda Bultum, Bedessa
Reports to: Project Manager
Required Quantity: 2
Contract type: One year with a possibility of extension
About Self Help Africa:
Self Help Africa (SHA) is an international NGO dedicated to the vision of an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa. We have 50 years of experience working with smallholder farmers, farmer associations, cooperatives and agribusinesses across Africa to help farmers grow and sell more food, improve diets, diversify incomes and make their livelihoods more sustainable and resilient to external shocks. SHA also builds awareness of issues affecting smallholders and represent their interests at policy and institutional level.
The overall objective of the position is to promote project objectives and guide and support the smallholder farmers to produce quality crops, vegetables, and rear dairy cows, and shoats at community level. The Community Development Officer shall be responsible for the day-to-day monitoring of project activities in her/his assigned area.
In collaboration with the project officer,
- Conduct day to day follow up of crop production, wellbeing of dairy cows and shoats, timely irrigation of vegetables from planting to harvesting.
- Organizing and mobilizing smallholder farmers into groups and primary coops in collaboration with relevant government line department staff
- Facilitate timely distribution of agricultural inputs to the targeted beneficiaries
- Perform other assignments as requested by his/her supervisor.
- Collect pertinent data from all project intervention areas
- Additional duties requested by the Project Manager and the Head of Programmes
- Project manager (Line manager)
- Oda Bultum ICDP Project Officer
- SHA Ethiopia Head of Programmes
- Other SHA Ethiopia staff
- Union/Cooperative staff and members
- Finance and Administration Team,
- Local Government Authorities,
- Financial Institutions,
- Other International and Local NGOs,
- Private Sector Organisations,
- Business Advisors and Mentors.
Qualifications/Knowledge and Experience:
- BSc degree in agronomy, plant science, agriculture, agricultural extension, cooperative development or related fields. At least three years relevant working experience in crop, vegetables and dairy/shoats value chains, seed
- Good inter-personal and communication skills
- Capacity and maturity to establish and maintain links with government officials, unions and primary coops
- Ability to organize and manage events like farmers field day, training, and workshop
- Have excellent communication skills in Afan Oromo language
- Ability to effectively communicate in speaking and writing English language
- Proven ability to work in multidisciplinary and multi-stakeholder working environments
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Basic knowledge of skills in computer application
Download the Job Description
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and SHA reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply:
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
If you are experiencing any problem with submitting your online application please visit this link for assistance: https://bit.ly/SHA_TechSupport1
Closing date is Tuesday 8th November 2022 at 5pm
Please note that Self Help Africa Ethiopia advocates for equal opportunity and does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Self Help Africa is committed to the highest possible standards of openness, transparency, and accountability in all its affairs and is completely against fraud, bribery, and corruption. All employees are bound by code of conduct, child protection and conflict of interest policies.
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Police vetting is required.
All applicants are encouraged to read through the following safeguarding policies as you make your applications:
Women applicants are highly encouraged; Self Help Africa is an Equal Opportunities Employer