Job Title: Communications Officer
Company: Self Help Africa
Reports to: Head of Communications
Salary: €28,000 – €32,000 (dependent on experience)
Working Hours: 37.5 hours Monday – Friday 9.00am – 5.30pm
Communications is an important part of the support function within Self Help Africa. The department has been developed over the past decade to provide internal capacity to support the varying communications and marketing material requirements across the organisation.
This includes, but is not exclusive to the requirements of public fundraising, institutional fundraising, programme support, advocacy, and development education, as well as the communications and media/marketing support requirements of subsidiaries and affiliates WorldWise Global Schools, Partner Africa, TruTrade and of local partners. As a part of the Communications Team it may be necessary to also provide ‘back office’ communications support to other associated companies and subsidiaries, as required.
The role requires you, as a part of the communications team, to contribute to and support the department in communicating on the work of Self Help Africa and its impact, and on providing communications support to colleagues and partners, as required.
This work will involve identifying, sourcing and developing content – in visual and written form – that can be published in written materials, including publications, press releases, donor reports, online channels and other media, for the purpose of promoting, marketing and communicating on behalf of the organisation.
- Contribute to the production of content – written and visual, to enable the production of communications and marketing materials across the whole organisation.
- Collect and produce written content that can be used in both on and off-line contexts
- Ensure that content is compliant with relevant codes to which Self Help Africa is signed up.
- Support the maintenance, archiving and storage of content – including images, video content, design resources, published press materials and other.
- Contribute to the on-going development and maintenance of the online presence of SHA and its subsidiaries.
- The role may occasionally require you to travel – to UK or to Africa, to gather information and materials for use in fulfilling the communications remit.
- Assist with the production and delivery of public facing events and activities on behalf of Self Help Africa
- Responsible for the production of video materials that can be used either as stand-alone promotional devices, or as a part of the multi-media ‘storytelling’ about the organisation and its work
- At the direction of your Line Manager and in tandem with IT
- To establish and maintain a library of case studies and photography. Implement appropriate CMS.
- Communications Team
- Fundraising Teams in Ireland, UK and USA
- Programme Teams
- Development Education and public engagement teams
- Country teams in Africa
Knowledge / Qualifications and Experience:
- Third level qualification in media, marketing or related discipline
- Excellent writing skills and an ability to recognise and develop story potential
- Highly analytical
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong relationship management and teamwork skills Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Strong IT skills including Word, Excel, Microsoft office and Salesforce
- Experienced team player
- Minimum of two year’s experience in a communications role
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Self Help Africa
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge and/or experience of new media and social media marketing
- Video editing
- Good photography/filming skills
- Experience in the not for profit sector
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to produce results
- Familiarity with word processing, desktop publishing, video editing software
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Ireland at the time of application
Make it clear which position you are applying for by writing the position in the subject line of your e-mail [+ Your name]”. Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
Please click the link to download the Job Description
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Specific roles may require police/DBS/Garda vetting.
Self Help Africa is an Equal Opportunities Employer